Optimal health, We all want to have it, but very few of us are anywhere close to achieving it. This is because, unfortunately, health is not a high priority for most of us. Even more so, most of us don’t even know how to define optimal health. Our medical model teaches us that health is the absence of disease. But health is much more than this. There are millions of people who don’t have a diagnosable disease, but are still in poor or mediocre health.
- 62%, or over 3 in 5 of Canadian adults are overweight or obese.31% of Canadian children and youth aged 5 to 17, an estimated 1.6 million, are overweight or obese
- We each have a 1 in 3 lifetime risk of getting some form of cancer
- An estimated 1.6 million Canadians are living with heart disease or the effects of a stroke. 1.3 million Canadians are living with heart disease.More than 400,000 Canadians are living with long-term stroke disability
- In 2012, more than 66,000 Canadians died from heart disease or stroke . That’s one person every 7 minutes, almost 14,000 Canadians died as the result of a heart attack, more than 13,000 Canadians died as the result of a stroke
- Six million Canadian adults, or one in five, have high blood pressure and 1 in 6 Canadians (762,000 individuals) with high blood pressure are unaware of their condition
- 5.4% of the Canadian population aged 15 years and over reported symptoms that met the criteria for a mood disorder: depression,anxiety etc.
- In 2011, 747,000 Canadians were living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias - that's 14.9 per cent of Canadians 65 and older.By 2031, if nothing changes in Canada, this figure will increase to 1.4 million.
It is not easy by any mean for children and the parents in the journey with the Diet (except for a few fruits like apples and avocados), no cold drinks, no juice box, no pop! But NO PAIN NO GAIN! If after 3 or 6 or 12 months, No more puffer,no more steroids, no more hospital visits! Will it be great for the child? OF COURSE!
Asthma affects 1 in 6 children in North America, 50% of them have some allergies to animal dander, pollen and dust. And millions of children miss school daily because of asthma attacks.
In Chinese Medicine, childhood Asthma is often a combination of Lung, Spleen & Kidney Qi deficiency. Boosting the defensive (Wei) Qi of the Lung, and the source (Yuan) Qi of the Kidney systems, as well as nourishing the Zhong (Middle) Qi of the Spleen & Stomach with a healthy diet also with the herbal medicine from our mother nature, will result in a great outcome.
ON top of a deficiency, there are 3 types of asthma: Cold, Heat and or Damp. No matter what, dairy and sugar should be avoided completely.
Sciatica occurs when something pushes on the sciatic nerve. This can be a muscle spasm, the spinal discs, and sometimes even the spine itself. Most often this pain is due to muscle spasms or a slipped disc, but it can also be a sign of serious illness and it is important to go to you doctor for a diagnosis. Technically, sciatica is not a disease, but a group of symptoms that affect the region of the sciatic nerve. Radiating pain is one of the more common and intense symptoms, there can also be numbness and tingling starting in the lower back radiating down the leg. Furthermore, sciatic nerve compression can be caused by several different types of spinal disorders such as: 1) a herniated disc 2) lumbar spinal stenosis 3) spondylolisthesis 4) trauma 5) piriformis syndrome 6) spinal tumors.
Important note: It usually take 3 to 5 years from Low back pain slowly turn into Sciatica pain, so address your low back pain in the early stage is always better than later.
Moxibustion is a form of heat therapy that is used in Traditional Oriental Medicine. It is made from the Chinese herb, Mugwort (Artemisiae Argyi). It comes in many forms, as moxa sticks, cones, loose herb, etc to provide indirect and direct stimulation on acupuncture points. It is a gentle yet effective way to strengthen your body. Moxibustion therapy is a gem of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
Moxibustion or moxa on the acupuncture point ST36 is traditionally used to improve longevity and prevent illness. It strengthens the body by tonifying the qi and blood and boosting the immune system.
Moxibustion can be a simple addition to a treatment that can boost your immunity, strengthen your body, and increase your general sense of well-being! It’s an easy way to boost your immunity during this flu season.
Ask your acupuncturist if moxa is right for you.
There is saying in Chinese medical texts dating back hundreds of years that says “Blood stasis is the cause of all problems and blood stasis complicates all conditions”.
The term blood stasis includes symptoms like varicose veins, spider veins and thick dry skin such as on the heel as well as fixed stabbing pains that could be anywhere in the body. Ancient Chinese physicians understood the concept of blood flow and the relationship of blood vessels to the heart hundreds of years before the US medical physician William Harvey wrote about blood circulation.
Foot bath with Chinese herbs that will help legs blood circulation: